☰ MENU

Our School

Our SchoolPort Angeles High School is located on the Olympic Peninsula in Port Angeles, Washington. The campus is comprised of 11 buildings on approximately 39.7 acres.  Dates of construction range from 1953 through 1978.  The facility supports grade nine through grade twelve classrooms, as well as outdoor fields and an auditorium for district and community recreation. The enrollment headcount is 1,079 as of September 2014.

Our Vision

Vision:  Port Angeles High School will be a personalized, rigorous, student-centered learning community that respects our democratic heritage and values diversity in order to create a better world.

Mission:  To prepare students for a lifetime of learning by creating a foundation for personal success.

Beliefs:  All students can learn. Learning is a life-long endeavor.  Teachers facilitate learning by creating conditions for rigor, relevance, relationships and responsibilities.

History of the Roughriders

"Roughrider" is the nickname for a famous American regiment that fought under Theodore Roosevelt's leadership in the Spanish American War of 1898. The official name of the regiment was the First United States volunteer cavalry. About 1,000 men, all "good shots and good riders," were recruited for the unit. It soon became known by the nickname Roughriders, a popular name for Western cowboys.Washington Achievement Award

The Roughriders had their greatest day on July 1, 1898,during the battle of San Juan Hill in Cuba. Roosevelt led his men in a victorious charge up "Kettle Hill" which is near San Juan Hill. Many Americans died in the charge, but those who survived were hailed heroes.The fame of the Roughriders later helped Teddy Roosevelt in his political activities.

Port Angeles High School Facts

• Our school colors are green and white.

• The Class of 2015 was awarded $5,070,974 in total scholarships to further their educational goals. A total of 116 students received scholarships from 131 local donors.

• Port Angeles High School has sister school relationships with Mutsu City, Japan and Thanshan, China.

• The school opened its current site in the fall of 1953 with the following dedication: “This building, conceived and constructed by the citizens of today, is dedicated to the training of the citizens of tomorrow, so that they may cherish and hold their heritage of freedom of mind, spirit and body.”